"A trivial comedy for serious people"
The Importance of Being Earnest
by Oscar Wilde
Directors: Nicholas Thoroughgood and Rylee O'Rourke
November 24 to December 12
The Importance of Being Earnest is the most famous of Oscar Wilde’s comedies.
It’s the story of two bachelors, John ‘Jack’ Worthing and Algernon ‘Algy’ Moncrieff, who create alter egos named Ernest to escape their tiresome lives. They attempt to win the hearts of two women who, conveniently, claim to only love men called Ernest.
The pair struggle to keep up with their own stories and become tangled in a tale of deception, disguise and misadventure.
The elaborate plot ridicules Victorian sensibilities with some of the best loved, and indeed bizarre, characters to be found on the modern stage.
Approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes including a 20 minute interval.
Tickets: $25 (full); $20 (concession)
Group Concessions 10+: $20
Season Tickets for 2020: $65
Special discounts for large groups over 20 – contact email@example.com for more details
Bookings open about 2 months before the play opens, when you can book online or call 0466 332 766 (10 - 2 daily).
Nicholas Thoroughgood and Rylee O'Rourke
Evenings at 8:00pm:
Wed 24, Fri 26, Sat 27
Fri 3, Sat 4, Fri 10, Sat 11
Matinees at 2:00pm:
Sun 5, Sun 12
Doors open 30 minutes before performances
COVID Safe Conditions of Entry
The safety of our community is of paramount importance. We have put measures in place to prioritise the health and well-being of everyone. All visitors must check in with our QR Code (we can assist) and are asked to sanitise their hands on arrival and exercise proper social distancing while on site.
You are not permitted to enter Maitland Repertory Theatre if you:
- are experiencing any flu-like symptoms (sore throat, runny nose, persistent cough, shortness of breath, fever)
- have been in close contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 (during the period of time in which the virus is contagious)
- are awaiting the results of a test for COVID-19
- reside with anyone who is awaiting the results of a test for COVID-19
- have returned from international travel and failed to observe the government requirement to quarantine for 14 days