“My God, Joe – the world is supposed to be for all of us”
Waiting for Lefty
by Clifford Odets
Director: Joanne Lawler
May 7 to 22
Written in 1935 amid the American Great Depression, Clifford Odets’ Waiting for Lefty captures a meeting of New York taxi drivers ready to strike. The corrupt union head does everything he can to discourage a decision to strike, but as they wait for their leader Lefty Costello to arrive, members of the workers committee step forward to tell heart-wrenching tales of the conditions that have brought each of them individually to the point of no return.
With families they cannot feed, a society fraught with injustice and no future in sight, they are determined to fight to the death for the right to live like a man; a whole, fully realised person, in a world in which success – “your name in the papers”, “fame and fortune” – is God.
The strike is not about a few extra pennies in their pay or shorter hours of work but a strike for a greater dignity, for a bolder humanity; a strike for the full stature of man.
This American classic will be performed on stage by Reamus Youth Theatre.
Approximately 50 minutes with no interval.
All tickets: $18
Season Tickets for 2021: $65
Special discounts for large groups over 20 – contact email@example.com for more details
Bookings open in March 2021 when you can book online or call 0466 332 766 (10 - 2 daily).
Doors open 30 minutes before performances
COVID Safe Conditions of Entry
The safety of our community is of paramount importance. We have put measures in place to prioritise the health and well-being of everyone. All visitors must check in with our QR Code (we can assist) and are asked to sanitise their hands on arrival and exercise proper social distancing while on site.
You are not permitted to enter Maitland Repertory Theatre if you:
- are experiencing any flu-like symptoms (sore throat, runny nose, persistent cough, shortness of breath, fever)
- have been in close contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 (during the period of time in which the virus is contagious)
- are awaiting the results of a test for COVID-19
- reside with anyone who is awaiting the results of a test for COVID-19
- have returned from international travel and failed to observe the government requirement to quarantine for 14 days
By arrangement with Music Theatre International Australasia Pty Ltd, on behalf of Dramatists Play Service, Inc.